The long cold nights of winter are fast approaching and we can’t think of a better way to warm up than with a bowl of slow-braised Elk Bourguignon made with our elk stew meat, Pinot Noir red wine, and finished with wild chanterelle mushrooms.
This dish can be dressed up and made the centerpiece of any festive meal or simply served any day of the week for a hearty winter’s supper.
Elk Bourguignon serves: 4
- 1# JHBMCo. elk stew meat
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2# bacon, medium diced
- 3 carrots, medium diced
- 3 celery ribs, medium diced
- 1 yellow onion, medium diced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- Half bottle (375ml) of Pinot Noir red wine (but, any red will do!)
- 1 box (32oz.) beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- S/P to taste
- Pre-heat your Dutch oven (4.5/6qt.) over medium heat.
- Drain any excess juices from the thawed JHBMCo. elk stew meat, then evenly season with 2 tsp. salt.
- Add diced bacon to the pan and cook until crisped-up, then remove with slotted spoon to a plate, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the seasoned elk stew meat and evenly brown in the bacon fat, then remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the plate with the cooked bacon.
- Add carrot, celery, onion and 1 tsp. of salt to the pan and slowly sweat the vegetables until just softened.
- Add garlic and tomato paste, to the vegetables and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes, slowly stirring to prevent any burning.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and beef stock, then add the bay leaves, fresh thyme leaves and a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the browned elk stew meat and cooked bacon back to the pan and turn the heat down to low and cover with a lid.
- Continue to cook on low heat for approximately 3.5 - 4 hours on the stove top, removing the lid for the last hour to allow the sauce to reduce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- We like to serve this hearty stew over simple mashed potatoes and then smothered with sautéed wild chanterelle mushrooms and fresh chopped parsley.