Elk & Chanterelle Mushroom Egg Rolls
Elk and chanterelle mushrooms are a pairing that we love during the autumn months out West.
We also love egg rolls here at JHBMCo., so we came up with this easy-to-follow recipe for Elk & Chanterelle Mushroom Egg Rolls that will make enough to feed a crowd or can easily be frozen and enjoyed later!
We know wild chanterelle mushrooms may not be easily obtained in your area, so we recommend substituting fresh shiitake, oyster, or button mushrooms that can be found at most supermarkets!
Elk & Wild Chanterelle Mushroom Egg Rolls yield: 24
- 1# JHBMCo. ground elk
- 1 cup chanterelle (or other) mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 1 cup cabbage (green or Napa), shredded
- 6 ea. garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1ea. package of standard egg roll wrappers
- oil to fry
- Heat a large sauté pan over med/high heat and add 1 tsp. of vegetable oil, JHBMCo. ground elk, 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper.
- Briefly cook, while breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula.
- Transfer cooked meat to a colander to drain any juices.
- Place drained elk meat in a mixing bowl and save colander to use again.
- Place pan back on the heat and add 1 tsp. vegetable oil, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, soy sauce and sauté until just softened. Approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer cooked mushroom and vegetable mix to the colander to drain and cool.
- Transfer vegetables to the cooked, ground elk mixing bowl and mix together.
- Separate wonton wrappers and fill with 2 Tbsp of the cooked elk mixture.
- Fold and roll (see photos) and seal with water.
- Layout the finished rolls on a lined sheet tray and loosely cover with a towel to keep from drying out.
*they can be frozen at this stage
- Fill a heavy bottom pan, preferably cast iron or enameled Dutch oven, with 2-3” of oil (we like peanut or vegetable) and heat to 370F
- Carefully(!) fry until golden, then transfer to a rack to drain.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!