Marinated and Grilled Buffalo Flank Steak with “Caesar” Butter, Morels and Asparagus
Check-out this quick and easy recipe for marinated and grilled JHBuffalo Meat Co. Buffalo Flank Steak with “Caesar" Butter, Foraged Morels and Asparagus.
Buffalo Flank Steak Marinade
- 1 ea. JHBMCo. Buffalo Flank Steak (1 -1.25#)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Thbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 cloves of whole garlic
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Combine all the above ingredients in a nonreactive dish. Add the flank steak to the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate and let marinate for 1 to 6 hours.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of softened, unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh minced chive, thyme and parsley
- dash of Worcestershire
- cracked black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, add the above ingredients and mash together to fully incorporate all the “Caesar"” flavors with the butter.
- Pre-heat your grill to a high heat!
- The buffalo flank steak is a thin and lean cut, so you will want to cook the steak quickly over high heat to get that beautiful, umami rich char without overcooking it.
- When the grill is hot enough to only be able to hold your hand directly above the grate for a second or two, it's ready!
- Remove the steak from the marinade and be sure to wipe off any of the garlic or thyme sprigs that may be adhering.
- Grill for approximately 4 minutes on the first side, being sure to watch and contain any flare-ups. The steak should have a nice amount of char at this point. Flip the steak and finish to desired doneness. (We recommend a nice medium rare!)
- Let the steak rest for as long as it was cooking (7-8 minutes)! This step is critical for retaining all those meaty juices.
- While the steak is resting, throw some asparagus spears on the grill to char-up and sauté a handful of morel mushrooms with a few tablespoons of the “Caesar” butter.
- Thinly slice the buffalo flank steak (always against the grain for tenderness), add your asparagus and morels, and place a few tablespoons of the “Caesar” butter on top to melt.