Dark Beer Braised Elk Bratwurst and Onions
- 1 package (3ea.) JHBuffalo Meat Co. Elk Bratwurst
- 6 yellow onions, sliced
- tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) Porter or Stout beer
-11/2 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. whole caraway seed
- 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorn
- 1 tsp. whole juniper berry
- 2 ea. bay leaves
* tied in a sachet of cheesecloth or a coffee filter
- 3 ea. whole garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp. red wine or malt vinegar
- fresh horseradish root
- Begin by heating a large 5-6 qt. enameled Dutch oven over medium-high heat and adding the butter, onions and salt.
- Cook the onions, being sure to stir often, over medium-high heat until they start to caramelize and just begin to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to stir and caramelize onions until beautifully darkly golden in color.
- Deglaze the onions with your choice of dark beer, being sure to scrape up all the sticky, caramelized onions from the bottom of the pan.
- Turn heat down to low and stir in the mustard and molasses.
- Add the spice sachet and the garlic cloves at this time (these will be fished-out and removed when the onions are finished!)
- Add the elk bratwurst to the beer and onions and SLOWLY simmer on low heat until just cooked through. The sausages will be springy to the touch, with just the slightest give. It's better to under poach them, as they will finish cooking on the grill as they get crisped up!
- Have a pre-heated grill or cast iron grill pan ready and hot.
- Remove the cooked elk bratwurst from the beer and onions and finish cooking over a medium grill to get those nice grill marks and crisped up skin!
- Serve on a bed of buttery mashed potatoes with the beer braised onions
and a pile of freshly grated horseradish, or on a hearty bun with a little more whole grain mustard and enjoy!