Here’s a quick and easy recipe for our Cast Iron Smashed Buffalo Burger with Pickled Pimento Cheese and Sautéed Onions! This recipe will make enough for four burgers, so fire up your cast iron pans, turn off your smoke detectors if you’re cooking inside and start smashing.
*We do recommend cooking these burgers outside if you have an outdoor gas or charcoal grill or burner set-up like the one shown*
Buffalo Smash Burgers🍔
- 4 each 1/4 pound @jhbuffalomeatco buffalo burgers (whether using our patties or bulk ground, form into a loosely packed ball to really get a good smash crust!)
- 1 large onion sliced/shaved thinly
- 2 Tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- 4 lightly buttered burger buns
- Begin by pre-heating your cast iron pans! We are using a combination of a 12” skillet set on med-hi heat for the burgers and a smaller 10” skillet set on medium heat for sautéing the onions as well as to smash our burgers!
- Lightly griddle your buns until perfectly toasted. Set aside
- Quickly sauté the onions with 1 Tbsp of the butter and a pinch of salt. Hold warm
- Add a small knob of butter from the remaining Tbsp for each of the 4 burgers (you will have to cook these patties no more than two at a time to not overcrowd the skillet)
- Place the 4oz. balled-up buffalo burger immediately with the butter and a pinch of salt in the pan and use the hot 10” skillet (we recommend placing a square of parchment paper or doubled up aluminum foil on top of the burger before smashing so as to not stick to the bottom of the hot smashing skillet like in the video ;) and smash the burger down heavily to get that proper smash burger crust!
- Flip the burger, smother with the Pickled Pimento Cheese (recipe follows), sautéed onions and quickly finish cooking.
- Transfer the cheesy patty to the pre-toasted buns and serve!
Pickled Pimento Cheese🧀🌶
- 8oz. shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. pickled peppers
- salt and pepper to taste
- combine all of the above ingredients in a bowl (or food processor if you want to make quick work) and combine/smash together with a fork until bound together uniformly!