Charcoal Grilled Bison Skirt Steak with Spring Inspired Chimichurri
- 1 ½ lbs Buffalo Skirt Steak
- Marinate overnight with 1/4 cup of good olive oil, a couple of sprigs of thyme, 4 garlic cloves, 1/4 jalapeño sliced, and 6 whole scallions. Dry toast all the ingredients(not the steak or olive oil!) in a skillet to really wake up the aromatics, then transfer to an appropriate size dish, add olive and the bison skirt steak. Wrap, refrigerate and marinate overnight.
- When ready to grill, heat your grill (in this case a charcoal kettle grill) until it’s hot, real hot! We’ll be cooking this thin steak hot and quick!
- Pull the marinated steak out of the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Wipe off excess marinade.
- Season the steak liberally with good sea salt, that’s it!
- Cook over the hot coals until desired doneness (we recommend medium and under). Rest the steak for at least 5 minutes. Carve against the grain with a sharp knife.
- Transfer to a warm platter and liberally sauce with the Spring Inspired Chimichurri (recipe to follow)
Spring Inspired Argentinian Chimichurri Sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 bunch of scallions or spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño (preferably charred lightly over the coals), minced
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Few sprigs of thyme leaves, chopped
- Few sprigs of mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cup good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. course ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. good sea salt
- Combine to form an oily, herbaceous sauce! Have lots of roasted potatoes or grilled bread around for soaking up the extra!
Recipe and Images provided by: Chef Ambassador Eric Bartle (@wildernesshunter)