Dry Rubbed & Smoked Buffalo Ribs
Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat Co
We fired up the smoker, dry rubbed some of our buffalo ribs, and wrapped ‘em in foil. We then tucked them in for the night at 225-250℉ for 6 hours and woke to these beautifully tender and smokey back ribs!
These are great right out of the smoker or charred-up on the grill and slathered with your favorite bbq sauce.🔥
1 package (3-4#) JHBMCo. Buffalo Ribs
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp chipotle chili, ground
2 tsp black pepper, ground*
* you can easily substitute any of your favorite spice rub mixes, just be aware of varying salt contents and adjust accordingly
Pre-heat your preferred smoker* to 225-250℉ and add a pan of water to keep the smoker from drying out the ribs.
- *we used a combination of mesquite and red wine oak barrel scraps, but any fruit or hardwood can be used.
- Whether you are using an electric or traditional wood-fired smoker, we believe the ideal temperature for smoking buffalo and elk is in the 225-250℉ for that slow and low cooking that will keep the meat moist and tender.
- Remove the thawed buffalo ribs from their packaging and pat dry any excess moisture.
- Mix the salt, brown sugar, and spices together and rub on both sides of the rib racks.
- Double wrap the spice-rubbed buffalo racks in aluminum foil, being sure to seal fairly tightly. Wrapping in the foil will allow the ribs to semi-steam as they smoke, making for a tender and moist rib that isn’t dried out! Don’t worry, the smoke will find its way into the wrapped ribs over its six-hour cook time and will impart all its flavor without being too smokey.
- Keep the temperature between 225-250℉ and smoke for 6 hours. If your smoker is running closer to 225℉, adding a few extra hours won’t hurt ‘em!
- After six hours the ribs will be fall-off-the-bone tender at this point. If you would like to glaze with your favorite bbq sauce, you can unwrap from the foil and continue to smoke and slather or throw on the grill to really char-up them up!
- Make sure you have lots of napkins at your disposal and enjoy!