Buffalo and Black Bean Chili
Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat Co
Now that these Autumn days are getting shorter and colder, we think it’s the perfect time to fire-up the Dutch oven and make a batch of our slow braised Buffalo & Black Bean Chili.
This hearty dish is loaded with a mix of smokey chilies, earthy black beans and chunks of our fork tender buffalo stew meat for a chili that’s good enough to bring home the gold, which this recipe did a few years back at the annual Jackson Hole High Noon Chili Cook Off!
- 1# JHBMCo. Buffalo Stew Meat
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter or veg. oil
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. dried/ground pasilla chili
1 Tbsp. dried/ground smoked paprika/pimentón
1 tsp. dried/ground chipotle chili
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp. ground black pepper
14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup molasses
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 cups water
29 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 Tbsp salt or to taste to finish
Thaw 1# package of JHBMCo. Buffalo Stew Meat and liberally season with 1 Tbsp kosher salt.
- Preheat Dutch oven on med/high heat.
- Add butter (or vegetable oil), then add the seasoned buffalo chunks.
- Aggressively brown the meat on all sides.
- Add onions and brown.
- Add garlic and the dried spices and cook for approximately 1 minute while slowly stirring to bloom the spices.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes and their juice, along with the water, molasses and cocoa powder.
Turn heat to low, cover and slowly simmer for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is fork tender and starting to fall apart.
- Add the drained black beans
- and return to the low heat and cook for 1 more hour.
- Adjust with salt to taste
- Enjoy with the usual suspects of grated cheddar, minced onion and lots of tortilla chips for dipping!