Coney Island Buffalo Dogs
We've taken our Buffalo Hot Dogs and given them the Coney Island treatment with this simple recipe for ground elk “Coney Sauce" to smother those snappy dogs with. The addition of smoked cheddar cheese and the traditional yellow mustard and diced onion complete this nostalgic dish that's great for the big game day or an easy weekday meal!
Ground Elk “Coney Sauce”
-1# JHBMCo. ground elk
- 2 ea. white onion, diced small
*reserve 1 cup for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
-1 Tbsp. ground cumin
-1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
-1 Tbsp. ground chipotle chili
*less or more depending on how spicy you like it!
- 1tsp. ground black pepper
-1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 6 oz. tomato paste
-1/4 cup yellow mustard
-1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 cups water
-1 package (4ea.) JHBMCo. Buffalo Hot Dogs
- 4 oz. grated, smoked cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat a large, heavy bottom pan or enameled Dutch oven (with lid) over medium heat, then add the butter, ground elk, diced onion, garlic and salt.
- Brown the meat and onion mixture, breaking up the the ground elk so there's no large chunks.
- Add the spices and tomato paste to the meat and onion mixture while continuing to cook for a few minutes to bloom-out the spices and tomato paste.
- Add the water, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar and stir to evenly I incorporate.
- Set the heat to low and cover the pot and slowly simmer for 1 hour.
- After an hour of cooking, the “sauce” will be ready. The consistency will be a tad looser than your standard chili, which is exactly what you want. It should be able to ladle quite easily and not be too thick!
- Heat the Buffalo Hot Dogs in a skillet or on the grill.
- While the dogs are heating, lightly toast or grill the buns and grate the cheddar cheese (we like a nice smoked cheddar or an aged white cheddar is great too!)
- Place the dog in the bun, smother with the elk “Coney Sauce”, smoked cheddar cheese, diced onions and a squiqgle of yellow mustard. Make sure there are plenty of napkins around and enjoy!