Italian Style Buffalo Sausage Links with Sweet & Sour Peppers and Onions over Ricotta Polenta
We’ve got another easy recipe featuring our @jhbuffalomeatco Italian Style Buffalo Sausage Links with Sweet & Sour Peppers and Onions over Ricotta Polenta
Italian Buffalo Sausage with Sweet & Sour Peppers and Onions
- 1 package JHBMCo. Italian Buffalo Sausage
- 3 Tbsp good olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Poblano pepper, sliced
- 1 sweet Hungarian pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine (what you would want to drink!)
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove all the seeds from the peppers and along with the onion, thinly slice into uniform strips.
- Pre-heat a large heavy bottom sauté pan or enameled Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to the pre-heated pan and add the Italian Buffalo Sausage links and gently brown on one side.
- Add the 3/4 cup of water to the pan and gently poach the sausages until just barely set/cooked and water is evaporated. Flip and finish browning on the other side. Remove to a plate and hold warm.
- In the same pan, add remaining olive oil and raise heat to med-high and add the sliced peppers and onions.
- After 10 or so minutes the peppers and onions should begin to soften and caramelize, at this point add the sliced garlic and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently so as to not scorch.
- At this point add the sugar, red wine and red wine vinegar and reduce heat to medium and cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sausages back to the pepper and onion mixture and warm sausages back through.
- To finish, warm individual serving plates or a family style platter and portion out the soft ricotta polenta (recipe in comments below), sausages, pepper & onions, a little extra Parmesan cheese, some fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
Ricotta and Parmesan Polenta
- 1 quart whole milk( vegetable stock or water can be substituted)
- 1 cup ground polenta
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring milk and salt to a boil
- Gently stir in the polenta so as to not create lumps!
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir polenta until cooked through, approximately 30 minutes.
- When polenta is fully cooked and soft, turn off heat and fold-in the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses until well incorporated. Hold warm until ready to serve!