Huckleberry & Balsamic Agrodolce
Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat Co
Huckleberries & Elk are a classic combination out West. Today, we are sharing an easy recipe for this Italian-inspired Wild Huckleberry and Balsamic Vinegar Agrodolce (sweet and sour) Sauce that we have pictured with our cast iron seared 12oz. Elk T-Bone.
The combination of the mildly acidic aged balsamic vinegar reduced down to a sweet syrup with wild mountain huckleberries and a garnish of fresh, aromatic thyme leaves is the perfect late summer sauce to accompany any of our elk or bison steaks.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup wild huckleberries
- *blackberry, blueberry, or currants can be substituted
- pinch of salt
- few turns of fresh cracked black pepper
- *or a four-peppercorn (black, white, green, pink) mélange if you’re feeling really fancy!
- 2ea. sprigs worth of fresh thyme leaves
- Add the 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar to a small saucepot or sauté pan on low heat and slowly reduce down to approximately 2 Tbsp of syrup.
Turn off heat and fold in the huckleberries, salt, and pepper.
Let the Agrodolce cool slightly before serving.
Garnish the lightly sauced JHBMC elk or buffalo steak(s) with the fresh thyme leaves and a little pinch of finishing salt. Enjoy.
- Give it a try and let us know what ya’ think! 🔥